Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!


2 days ago, we were able to visit a hill station in the Western Ghat region outside Kottayam. This hill station is a hike up a hill that represents the 15 stations of the crusifixtion (see photo above). It was a beautiful place and it was nice to walk after being coupped up the previous day! The view from the top was amazing.


Christmas Eve was rough. We are experiencing some difficulty again with the purpose of the trip, and also, within the team. When I agreed to come on this trip, I was told I would be focusing on 3 things- to learn about my profession in another country, to experience the culture, and to participate and learn about what Rotary is doing in Kerala. Sadly, I do not feel that I have truly accomplished any of these. There has been a lot of trouble with orginization and focus as to why we are here. What we were told prior to coming is not what we have experienced. For that reason, the 4 teachers on the trip have initiated a break for Christmas. Tomorrow we will resume activities with the Rotary Club, and will attend the district conference.

I am looking forward to coming home because I miss my family and friends! I have definitely had positive moments on this trip. The school visits we managed to get were interesting, and I have enjoyed meeting the host families. I like this part of India and am glad I got to visit. However, I have a lot of concerns that I hope will be addressed when I return.

No comments: